Taking the time in the fall to clean, sharpen and maintain or replace your tools is an important aspect to having a healthy vegetable garden.
OCTOBER IS CLEAN YOUR TOOLS MONTH
Clean all your tools at the end the season before you put them away into storage. Quality tools can be expensive to purchase, so you want to take care of it.
- Rub any debris off with a cloth or burlap sack, if the dirt is dried on use a wire brush or steel wool to scrape it all off.
- Wipe any metal parts lightly with oil.
- Wipe wooden handles with linseed oil.
- Sharp tools will make your gardening tasks easier to do.
- Tools need to be regularly sharpened especially your hoe and digging tools.
- Sharpened your tools before you start to work in the garden.
- Use a flat file to sharpen the tool by drawing it smoothly down the blade from top to bottom. Move the file in one direction until all the nicks are smoothed out. When the blade is sharp to the touch move the file over the back edge of the tool to remove any build up on that edge.
Learn more about
- Take the time to fix or replace any broken tools.
- Replacing tools in the fall can often be bought at discounted prices.
My 2010 Vegetable Garden Journal
" is NOW AVAILABLE! This journal is a simple to follow book that will help you stay organized and give you all the information you need to have a successful vegetable garden.
Month at a glance to do list to guide you.
Easy to follow planting, growing and harvesting information for 25 common vegetables.
Tips on watering, fertilizing, mulching and pest management.
When the best time is to fertilize 25 common vegetables
A monthly calender with the best dates to plant by the moon cycles.
Need help with your garden layout?
It is never to early to start planning for the fall or next season Now you know what you would like to grow, where and how are you going to make it happen? The most common ways of planting vegetables are in row, raised beds or in containers. Order one of my
vegetable garden plans books
for great planning ideas for your own garden.
Check out some great
organic vegetable recipes
VEGETABLE OF THE MONTH
Learn more about growing
START PLANNING FOR NEXT SEASON
Now is the time to start planning your vegetable garden for the next growing season. I have several helpful
that will provide you with easy to follow tips to having a fabulous vegetable garden.
Check them out.
Please contact me
with your comments and suggestions.
If you have enjoyed this ezine please tell a friend.
Welcome to the world of vegetable gardening!